Friday, March 03, 2006

From Hawai'i to Fiji To New Zealand

Hello my people! SO SORRY to take this long to update...it won't happen again! It has been a whirlwind of events since we landed in New Zealand and we're just settling in now. I'll give a quick rundown of events now then post pictures later. Deal? Alright then!

On the 21st, we flew from Hawai'i (where lost tickets just about ruined our trip) to Christmas Island for a stop (where the airport composed of crumbling, weed-devoured concrete and a painted sign that says "Welcome to Christmas I" - they ran out of room). It was neat to fly over, but other than that...

Next stop - Fiji! Just overnight this time, but so humid and wonderful! I can't wait to re-meet the people we stayed with, Melissa, Serevee and baby-on-the-way! Wonderful people!

On to NZ - FINALLY!!! What an amazing country! And we've just begun exploring! We stayed in Auckland for a few days where Shane discovered the name of the disease(s) that robbed him of surfing in Hawai'i. Wanna know? You'll have to ask him! We met up with Jenni (friend from high school) in Auckland, saw the Sky Tower, a horse on the sidewalk and intersections that stop traffic completely so pedestrians can cross any which way! Crazy! We bought a van and drove north to Whangarei (fung-a-ray) where Aphra's (friend from high school) parents live. I am now staying with Calvin, Annmarie (who broke her ankle today), Shane, bees, spiders, cows, a crazy looking pig, mice (unless they've eaten their "last supper") and no hair dryer or straightener! And, surprisingly, I'm loving it! The life, not my hair! We have begun to explore Northland using Calvin and Annmarie's home as a base and we already have phenomenal memories and pictures!

On Thursday and Friday we checked out the local east coast beaches and Whangarei Falls, had an interesting lunch on the west coast, drove through Waipoua Forest and saw endless rolling hills layered with sheep and cattle. Today we went to a local market in town then drove to Ocean Beach where I collected beautiful shells and, yes, that's right, stood in the ocean a few meters from a pod of dolphins! They came right up to the shore! I've never seen anything like it! That has definitely been the highlight of my trip.

Well, it's getting late so I'll wrap it up there. I don't know if the pictures are going to work because the computer is acting up, but I'll try and post some soon. We lost a day during travel, so if you're in Victoria, I'm living in tomorrow but 2 hours behind you. Toronto, I'm 5 hours behind you and a day ahead. Got it? Good. I'll try to make a few phone calls next week. Mmmwah! Love you all! Thank you to those who have dropped us a note - they are much appreciated! Bye for now!

3 Comments:

At 4:47 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys both stink, I'm so jealous---Carlo

 
At 8:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WANNA KNOW ABOUT SHANE'S DISEASES !!!!

 
At 10:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous the pics are unbelievable. I want to see dolphins think one will fit in your suitcase Trace? All the best on the rest of your adventure. miss you both. Ryan, Lori and Orio

 

Post a Comment

<< Home